John Michael Greer was born in 1962 in Bremerton, Washington. He began studying the Golden Dawn tradition of Hermetic magic in his teens, and followed the “golden thread” of esoteric teachings into a wide range of related subjects, from martial arts and Asian mystical traditions to environmental science and sacred geometry.
He graduated from the University of Washington in 1993 with a BA in Comparative History of Ideas. His first published book, Paths of Wisdom, a handbook of Golden Dawn cabalistic philosophy, was released by Llewellyn in 1996, and has been followed by many other books on a variety of esoteric and occult subjects.
Dissatisfaction with some aspects of the Golden Dawn system, especially its lack of contact with the realities of green nature, led him to Druidry. In 1995 he joined the Order of Bards Ovates and Druids (OBOD) and received his certificate as a Druid Companion of the Order in 2002. In 2003 he was honored with OBOD’s Mount Haemus Award for Druid scholarship. In 2001 he also joined the Druid fellowship Ar nDraiocht Fein (ADF). He served as the Grand Archdruid of the Ancient Order of Druids in America during the early part of the 21st century. In 2013, he founded the Druidical Order of the Golden Dawn.
- Paths of Wisdom: Cabala in the Western Tradition (Llewellyn, 1996)
- Circles of Power: Ritual Magic in the Western Tradition (Llewellyn, 1997)
- Inside A Magical Lodge (Llewellyn, 1998)
- Earth Divination, Earth Magic: A Practical Guide to Geomancy (Llewellyn, 1999)
- Natural Magic (Llewellyn, 2000; reprinted as The Encyclopedia of Natural Magic, 2005)
- Monsters (Llewellyn, 2001)
- The New Encyclopedia of the Occult (Llewellyn, 2003)
- Learning High Magic, with Carl Hood Jr. and Clare Vaughn (Weiser, 2004)
- A World Full of Gods: An Inquiry into Polytheism (ADF Press, 2005)
- The Academy of the Sword by Gerard Thibault (translation; Chivalry Bookshelf, 2005)
- Druidry: A Green Way of Wisdom (Weiser, 2006)
- The Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth (Weiser Books, 2006)
- The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Societies (Element, 2006)
- The Long Descent (New Society Publishers, September 2008)
- Learning Ritual Magic: Fundamental Theory and Practice for the Solitary Apprentice with Earl King Jr. and Clare Vaughn (2011)
- The Complete Picatrix: The Occult Classic of Astrological Magic Liber Atratus Edition with Christopher Warnock, Translation. (2018)
- The Occult Book: A Chronological Journey from Alchemy to Wicca (Sterling Chronologies) (2017)
- The Conspiracy Book: A Chronological Journey through Secret Societies and Hidden Histories (Sterling Chronologies) (2018)