Oberon Zell-Ravenheart, also known as Otter G’Zell, was born Timothy Zell in on November 30, 1942 in St Louis, Missouri and attended Westminster College in Fulton, Missouri and did his Graduate School at Washington University in St. Louis. He married his co-wife Morning Glory Zell-Ravenheart at the Gnostic Aquarian Festival in 1973 and they continue maintain a polyamorous family known as the Ravenhearts.
In the 60s, Oberon Zell and Richard Lance Christie founded the Church of All Worlds (CAW) inspired by Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A Heinlein. The Church of All Worlds was one of the first Pagan churches to receive 501 C3 exemption from the IRS, which it did on June 18, 1970.
Oberon Zell first published The Green Egg Magazine, a popular and long-running Pagan magazine in 1968 and it continued (with some breaks) as a paper publication until 1996. It is now an online publication.
Oberon first put forth the religious philosophy that eventually came to be known as the Gaia Hypothesis in 1970. Oberon and Morning Glory co-founded the Ecosophical Research Association in 1977 and through their research embarked on the living unicorn program in the 80s. Several of their unicorns appeared in the Ringling Brothers/Barnam and Baily Circus. They have also done extensive research on the truth behind mermaid stories.
In 2004, Oberon Zell-Ravenheart in conjunction with several other members of the Pagan community known as the Grey Council established the Grey School of Wizardry which offers an occult education for children (and adults) in a style inspired by Hogwarts, the mythical school of wizardry in the Harry Potter series. Graduates are certified “Journeyman Wizards” and courses are offered online.
Oberon is also a writer and an artist. He has provided illustrations for Anodea Judith’s Wheels of Life, Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Darkovian Beastiary, many T-shirts and posters and altar art including the very popular Millennial Gaia.
Oberon Zell-Ravenheart has written the following books:
- Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard(In conjunction with other members of the Grey Council)
- Companion for the Apprentice Wizard
- A Wizard’s Bestiary: A Menagerie of Myth, Magic, and Mystery
- Creating Circles & Ceremonies: Rituals for All Seasons And Reasons (With Morning Glory Zell-Ravenheart)
- Green Egg Omelette: An Anthology of Art and Articles from the Legendary Pagan Journal (With Chas Clifton, Christopher Penczak and others)
- Dragonlore: From the Archives of the Grey School of Wizardry (With Ashley Dekirk)